Friday, March 28, 2008

I put down my papers, My Company takes the stick

I would dedicate this blog to be an eye-opener for most of the companies, Supervisors, HR managers who turn freaky when their most loyal or senior employees put down their papers.

It has been quite a while since I am in the IT industry and I have been experiencing this outlandish attitude of the IT companies when their key employees resign. I recently joined an MNC and I had an opportunity to debate on this topic and most of the guys agreed with my title of the blog. Here goes what we discussed, how your previous companies behaved with you after you resigned. The entire guys were scratchy when they expressed their experiences with their previous companies. One guy lamented his story that his immediate supervisor went demented and had a weird behavior with him during his notice period. I often wonder why the supervisors set bad examples to their team. In my entire career I had met only a single manager who was trying to retain me in the company. However, when he realized that the new job would give me plenty of growth and opportunities which lacked in the present company he did not want to see himself as a road block for my success. He was also keen to embrace me if I would like to join the company back in the future. There are only a very few professional guys who are like this. I guess the reason why the supervisors get paranoiac is only because they are so covetous about the growth his subordinate gets which he his deprived off. An IT law should be enforced to demote or sack such supervisors who harass the employees who are serving their notice period. Such supervisors are definitely going to bring a disgrace to the entire company. However certain times things go the other way also the guy serving the notice period will be cheeky and tries to do something stupid which would make his boss wild.

Another gentleman had to share his deplorable story about his experience in one of the companies who boasts to be the best work place. The company made him to walk the doorsteps to the HR office thrice and finally gave him the work experience certificates. Each time they had some goofy excuses like no ink/cartridge in the printer, the HR VP is out office etc. Guys our laws are so sapless that we cannot sue such companies for causing mental distress to the employee.

Only the companies who really have a bad name in the industry, who are in lack of good resources and cannot retain its employees will have nefarious schemes like 1 Year commitment bonds, 6 month commitment bond before they fly to onsite, non issuance of relieving letters etc... All this stupid schemes are going to keep good resources stay away from them. Only the dead weights would settle in such companies. There are very few companies who do not bother about the relieving letters from previous organizations and recruits the real techies.

Those who have read this article kindly share your experiences and comments.

6 comments:

Gopinath said...

I agree with your comments…..great article

sangram said...

Wish you all the best.

Unknown said...

Good blog...!

Unknown said...

me too facing same situation...

Siny U K Nair said...

I feel thankful for not having such bad experiences. When I was with an IT company and when I put down my papers, I had my HR, TL, Manager and Clients operation head trying to retain me with many success stories within the organization and the opportunities the organization provide if I can stay back.

To elaborate, I had to leave the organization for my higher studies where my perception was that a distant education doesn't make us intelligent rather help us gain bookish knowledge by studying only for the exams. My team was very supportive.

Even on the last day of notice period i was counseled if I really have to leave.

Thanks to my team!!

Siny

Spree-Yanka said...

Loved your blog!
It is quite an interesting story that i bumped into your blog today. I just googled four words 'Putting down My Papers' (which were THE highlight of my day) for my vacation days' request was denied under some unsaid, never-mentioned-to-me-before company rules...and to cut a long story short i was left with no option but to resign....now for the next full month i would be serving my notice period......hope things do not turn the bad way where I see my boss troubling me just because i m leaving the organisation for his 'leave-denial' kaand!
Anyway...feeling a li'l paranoid abt the possible boss terror in the coming month so dropped in few lines!